Sunday, October 23, 2011

It's here...


When you ask a lot of people what their favorite holiday is, they will probably rattle off an answer like Christmas, Halloween or their birthday and those days are all great but sometimes they have a little bit too much emphasis thrown on them for me.  Ask me and my answer is going to be a little out of the ordinary.  I'm a big holiday girl, and love to celebrate them all whether it be New Year's Day or Easter but I hold a very special place in my heart for the All-American edition of 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Election Day (yes, when you have a degree in Political Science and tend to follow politics like a sport you view it as a holiday) and when you like to cook, Thanksgiving becomes like the world series of cooking and entertaining for the year.   You think of Thanksgiving and I'm going to almost guarantee that you are going to get all warm and nostalgic pretty quickly on yourselves.  It's a holiday that's based on so many things but it comes down to great food, being surrounded by your family, and a lot of tradition and really what more can you ask for out of a day and because it's this day we celebrate every 4th Thursday of November every year it becomes quite special. 


Everyone has a "bucket list" of things they want to do in their life and among a lot of other things, I have the life long dream and utmost desire to host Thanksgiving for 30 at some point where I would cook the meal of my life, everyone would sit and eat for hours and it would just be an all-around amazing day.  Don't get me wrong, every year I have good Thanksgivings without hosting them.  For the last several years, we have gone to my Uncle Frank and Aunt Sandy's house for Thanksgiving and I think it was 3 holidays ago where my Aunt blew my mind at the table by announcing that this was her 82nd or some other obscene number turkey that shes made in her life and obviously when someone makes that many turkeys, they are going to be good (even with all of the hype, she's still a believer in the low and slow method and the turkey comes out moist and juicy every year).  But I know one day, my aunt will pass the baster to me when she's had enough of cooking turkey and when that day comes, I promise all of you that you will never see another Thanksgiving meal like it.  I think about it all the time what my most perfect Thanksgiving would look like, what we would eat, how the turkey would be cooked and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I have an entire binder of Thanksgiving recipes from old magazines preserved, ready to be broken out when the day comes. 


One of my favorite days of the year happened on Friday...the day where the November issue of Bon Appetit arrived in my mailbox.  I know in the magazine world, people usually wait for the "September issue" because it's all about fall fashion and such but for me November means Thanksgiving and when obsessed about the holiday it becomes a very big deal.  I can't wait every year to see what recipes the editors come up with, what new technique they uncover in getting you to prepare the most perfect turkey and just the general excitement to kick off the Thanksgiving season.  And every year you can bring something new to the table whether it be a new take on mashed potatoes or the inspiration to include a veggie that has never been on the table before but in the end it comes down to holding on to those traditions that are very near and dear to your heart and stomach.  Throughout November we are going to talk all about those traditions and share some of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes and tips with you so whether you host the holiday or just a happy enjoyer of it you are so hungry and ready for the day when it arrives that you can't wait another instance.  Check out the magazine, get inspired and for what I feel like is my new best friend in the cooking world, Adam Rapoport... I happen to like you even more now that your family and mine happen to have very similar stuffing recipes. 

By the way:  nice try BA in bringing out the new latest and greatest recipes but I have you trumped on this one with the Glazed Hakurei Turnips.  When I ever came across this one, I have to give credit to Stacia and Stone Gardens for including these and getting us addicted to them in our Farm Share back in the early summer.  I still can't wait to try their version though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment