Monday, October 3, 2011

The food issue...

There is nothing like being home on a a leisurely Sunday where nothing can get between you and the New York Times.  By now you should know that we are faithful readers of the Times in our house and we become quite territorial over sections of the paper.  I'm one of those typical East Coast girls that loves the Times and everything about it, and still loves the idea of reading an actual newspaper some days.  For as long as I can remember growing up, my mother would buy the paper everyday (because they didn't do home delivery to the area back then) and is a obsessive doer of the crossword puzzle that she has now gotten my brother into doing.   Lets just say it was quite the triumphant day when home delivery began and those blue newspaper bags starting arriving in our driveway.   Everyday is unique in the Times whether it's Wednesday and the dining section, Thursday and it's style day but really nothing can top Sundays.  Between the Metro Section and the "Sunday Routine" column that we play the game all the time about what our own routine would look like, Sunday Styles and the "Modern Love" and "Wedding of the Week", and finally the magazine that is chock full of so many interesting pieces that it becomes reading material for Monday.  I always think about what a perfect Sunday would look like in my eyes and it involves exercise, family dinners at home and lots of time carved out for reading and this week it didn't disappoint in the least bit.  It ended up being "The Food Issue" in the Magazine where all of the articles were dedicated to all things food and drink.  I have linked some of my favorite parts below because they will make you laugh, you'll learn all of these fun and interesting tidbits and you'll even feel sentimental and warm and fuzzy about all of your own memories surrounding the dinner table.  And I'm sure they will make you a better cook.

-"Can a Dinner Party be Stress Free"
Come on who doesn't dream of going to a dinner party hosted by Mark Bittman?  I read a piece by him a number of years ago where he talked about getting over his fear of entertaining and I always try to embody his laid back, at home style when hosting parties. 

-"Everything You Wanted to Know About Food"
A really nice guide that answers all of the questions you have ever had about food, health, policy, dining and etiquette. 

-"Why Does it Matter That Families Eat Together?"
I know the politics of family dinners has become the topic of choice these days and maybe I continue to feed off of all the positive research because I have so many wonderful memories of sitting around my own family table eating dinner together as I was growing up.   Eating dinner at home with my family (and whatever extended guests we have over at the moment) is still one of my most favorite and enjoyable parts of my day because it's like life slows down for a few minutes and you can can sit, eat, connect and relax.  Sam Sifton hits all the right points and as he puts it so eloquently in the end...'it's not so much about the future effect that it will have our lives but on the present moment of all being together just enjoying good food". 

Happy Reading, Happy Monday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Eating together matters....I'm a big fan and huge supporter!

    Just for the record, Catie's mom got me into the NY Times Crossword puzzle too....I don't do it as much as I'd like to anymore, but it is great for the mind!

    ReplyDelete